A person’s mouth should look smooth and coral pink inside. That’s the sign of healthy skin, known as mucosa. If the mucosa should become altered in appearance, this is a major warning sign. Among the worst pathological processes that can occur in the mouth, the most life-threatening one is oral cancer. Our oral and maxillofacial surgeons are ready to help with evaluation and treatment.
Oral cancer, like so many forms of cancer, may not cause any pain. Plus it happens inside your mouth where you may not be aware of it until it is too late. Here are some indicators:
- Reddish patches (erythroplasia) or whitish patches (leukoplakia) in the mouth.
- A sore that fails to heal and bleeds easily.
- A lump or thickening on the skin lining the inside of the mouth.
- Chronic sore throat or hoarseness. Difficulty in chewing or swallowing
- Unexplained facial or oral pain
At visits to your doctor and dentist, make sure to be screened for oral cancer. You can do your own self-examination, watching for one of the indicators. Your mouth is an important warning system. Don’t ignore suspicious sores, lumps or discolorations. Contact our office for more information.