Your sinus lift augmentation was an operation on your upper jaw. It is most commonly done in anticipation of dental implants. The bone graft consists of your own bone, freeze-dried bone, artificial synthetic bone or a combination.
• DO NOT BLOW YOUR NOSE FOR THE NEXT FOUR (4) WEEKS. This may be longer if indicated. You may sniff but NO NOSE BLOWING.
• Sneeze with your mouth open. Do not hold your nose while sneezing.
• Do not spit. Do not drink through a straw.
• Avoid scuba diving. Avoid flying in pressurized aircraft
• No smoking for a minimum of two weeks. Smoking dramatically increases the risk of bone graft and sinus augmentation failure.
• No blowing (bubbles, balloons, musical instruments, etc.)
• Do not lift heavy objects
• Do not wear any mouth guard device, prosthesis, dentures, etc. until you have been given the go-ahead by our office or your dentist.
THINGS TO DO
• Take antibiotics as prescribed. Without them, an infection may set in.
• Utilize Drixoral, Dimetapp or Sudafed to reduce sinus pressure.
• Be aware that, due to a bone graft, you may have two post surgical wounds.
• Follow the prescribed oral hygiene regimen.
ORAL HYGIENE REGIMEN
• Do not rinse or spit after surgery. This can cause bleeding and delay healing.
• Repeat salt water rinse four to five times a day for five days after surgery. Make sure to do this procedure after eating. Use one-half teaspoon of salt dissolved in an eight-ounce glass of warm water. Gently rinse, taking five minutes to completely drain the glass.
• Do not brush for 48 hours. Avoid surgical site. Be gentle when brushing/spitting.
• If prescribed, use antibiotic rinse in the morning and at bedtime, but no more than twice a day due to the chances of staining.
Please call the office to report any of the following:
• An unexpected flow of air or liquids between your mouth and nose
• Nasal discharge with small particles of graft materials
• Sinus or nasal congestion on the side of your surgery
• Increased mouth, cheek or under-eye swelling after four days
If you have concerns, call us during office hours. After hours, post-operative patients should call 314-921-1129 and leave a message with our 24-hour answering service.